Direct and Indirect Narration

 Direct and Indirect Speech - Definition, Rules, Examples,and Important Tips

Introduction- In English Grammar, Direct and Indirect Speech ( also known as Reported Speech ) is an important topic that helps us convey what someone said in their exact words or in our own words.

Understanding the rules of conversion between Direct Speech and Indirect Speech is essential for writing and speaking accurately.

Let us understand this topic in the simplest way with clear definitions, examples, and rules.

What is Direct Speech ?

Direct Speech is when we quote the exact words spoken by someone.

We use quotation marks (" ") to enclose the spoken words.

Example:

Rahul said, "I am studying English."

- Here, we are repeating the exact words of Rahul.

What is Indirect Speech ?

Indirect Speech is when we report what someone said without quoting their exact words.

We do not use quotation marks in this case.

Example:

- Rahul said that he was studying English.

Rules for changing Direct Speech into Indirect Speech-

Rule 1- Change of Pronouns:

The pronouns in reported speech usually change according to the sense of the sentence-

He said , " I am late."  =  He said that he was late.

She said , " We are happy."  =  She said that they were happy.

I said to him , " You are honest."   = I told him that he was honest.

" I, We or any first person pronoun "  =  According to the Subject of Reporting Verb.

"You or second person pronoun "  =  According to the Object of Reporting Verb.

"He, She, It, They or any third person pronoun "   =  No change.

Rule 2: Change of Tenses -

A. When the Reporting verb ( said, told, etc. ) is in the Past tense, the tense of the Reported speech also changes into its Past .

He said, " I work hard."  = He said that he worked hard.

She said, " I am reading."  =  She said that she was reading.

He said, " I have finished."   =  He said that he had finished.

She said, " He has been working here for two weeks."  =  She said that he had been working there for two weeks.

Ruchi said to me, "You may take my car."  =  Ruchi told me that I might her car.

B. When the sentence of Reported Speech is in Past tense , there is no change in the tense of the sentence. But here is the Exception of this rule is -

Past Indefinite tense changes into Past Perfect ,

Past Continuous tense changes into Past Perfect Continuous.

He said, "The horse died in the night."  =  He said that the horse had died in the night.

My father said, " It was raining heavily in the night."  =  My father said that it had been raining heavily in the night.

Rule 3. Change of Time Expressions-

today              = that day

tomorrow       = the next day

yesterday       = the previous day / the day before

now                = then 

ago                 = before

this                 = that

these              = those

here               = there

Example: 

She said , " I will go tomorrow."    =  She said that she would go the next day.

Rule 4. Change of Reporting Verbs :

"Statement or Assertive sentence"  - said = said  , said to = told

"Question or Interrogative sentence"  - said or said to = asked or inquired

"Command or Order / Imperative Sentence"  - said or said to  = commanded or ordered

" Request or please "  - said or said to  = requested or begged

" Suggestion"  - said or said to  = suggested or advised

"Exclamatory Sentence having such word as Hurrah! Alas! What a..........! "  - said or said to  = exclaimed with joy ( Hurrah ! )

                                                exclaimed with sorrow ( Alas !)

                                               exclaimed with surprise ( What a .... ! )

" May.......! or an Optative sentence "  - said or said to  = wished or blessed or cursed 

Examples : 

He said ,"I am tired "   = He said that he was tired.

She said to me , "Please help me."   = She requested me to help her.

The teacher said , "Do not talk."    = The teacher ordered us not to talk.

 1. Change of Pronouns



The pronoun in indirect speech changes according to the subject and object of the reporting verb.

Examples:

  1. He said, “I am happy.” → He said that he was happy.

  2. She said, “I love my dog.” → She said that she loved her dog.

  3. I said, “You are intelligent.” → I said that he was intelligent.

  4. They said, “We will come tomorrow.” → They said that they would come the next day.

  5. She said, “He helps me.” → She said that he helped her.


 2. Change of Tense (when Reporting Verb is in Past)



The tense of the reported speech usually changes one step back in time. Present → Past, Past → Past Perfect, Will → Would, etc.

Examples:

  1. He said, “I eat apples.” → He said that he ate apples.

  2. She said, “I am working.” → She said that she was working.

  3. They said, “We have finished the job.” → They said that they had finished the job.

  4. He said, “I did it yesterday.” → He said that he had done it the day before.

  5. She said, “I will call you.” → She said that she would call me.


 3. No Change in Tense (when Reporting Verb is Present/Future)



If the reporting verb is in present or future tense, the tense of the reported speech remains unchanged.

Examples:

  1. He says, “I am tired.” → He says that he is tired.

  2. She will say, “I like music.” → She will say that she likes music.

  3. They say, “We are ready.” → They say that they are ready.

  4. He says, “I work hard.” → He says that he works hard.


 4. Change of Time Expressions

Direct SpeechIndirect Speech
todaythat day
tomorrowthe next day / the following day
yesterdaythe day before / the previous day
nowthen
agobefore
tonightthat night
last weekthe previous week
next monththe following month
thisthat
thesethose

Examples:

  1. He said, “I met her yesterday.” → He said that he had met her the day before.

  2. She said, “I will go tomorrow.” → She said that she would go the next day.

  3. They said, “We are meeting today.” → They said that they were meeting that day.

  4. He said, “I came here two days ago.” → He said that he had come there two days before.

  5. She said, “I’ll finish this work tonight.” → She said that she would finish that work that night.


 5. Change in Modals

DirectIndirect
willwould
shallshould / would
cancould
maymight
musthad to (sometimes stays must)

Examples:

  1. He said, “I will go.” → He said that he would go.

  2. She said, “I can swim.” → She said that she could swim.

  3. They said, “We may come.” → They said that they might come.

  4. He said, “I must leave now.” → He said that he had to leave then.

  5. She said, “I shall return.” → She said that she would return.


 6. Change in Imperative Sentences (Commands, Requests, Advice)

TypeReporting VerbExample
Commandordered / toldHe said, “Open the door.” → He ordered me to open the door.
Requestrequested / beggedShe said, “Please help me.” → She requested me to help her.
Adviceadvised / suggestedHe said, “Work hard.” → He advised me to work hard.
Negative commandforbade / told not toHe said, “Don’t talk.” → He told me not to talk.

Examples:

  1. The teacher said, “Sit down.” → The teacher told us to sit down.

  2. She said, “Please wait for me.” → She requested me to wait for her.

  3. He said, “Don’t run.” → He told me not to run.

  4. My father said, “Be careful.” → My father advised me to be careful.


 7. Change in Interrogative Sentences (Questions) 

Examples:

  1. He said, “Where do you live?” → He asked me where I lived.

  2. She said, “Are you happy?” → She asked me if I was happy.

  3. They said, “Did you see the movie?” → They asked me if I had seen the movie.

  4. He said, “Why are you crying?” → He asked why I was crying.

  5. She said, “Will you come?” → She asked if I would come.

 8. Change in Exclamatory Sentences



Use verbs like exclaimed, wished, cried out, shouted in joy/sorrow/surprise, etc., and remove exclamations.

Examples:

  1. He said, “What a beautiful day!” → He exclaimed that it was a beautiful day.

  2. She said, “How terrible it is!” → She exclaimed that it was very terrible.

  3. They said, “Hurrah! We won the game.” → They exclaimed with joy that they had won the game.

  4. He said, “Alas! He is dead.” → He exclaimed with sorrow that he was dead.

  5. She said, “Wow! That’s amazing.” → She exclaimed with surprise that it was amazing.


 9. Change in Reporting Verb (According to Meaning)

Direct SpeechIndirect Speech
said to → told
said → said that
says → says that
asked → asked
said to (request) → requested
said to (order) → ordered

Examples:

  1. He said to me, “I am tired.” → He told me that he was tired.

  2. She said, “It is raining.” → She said that it was raining.

  3. He said to the boy, “Work hard.” → He advised the boy to work hard.

  4. They said to her, “Please sit down.” → They requested her to sit down.


 10. Universal Truths or Facts (No Change in Tense)



When the reported speech expresses a universal truth, the tense remains unchanged.

Examples:

  1. The teacher said, “The sun rises in the east.” → The teacher said that the sun rises in the east.

  2. He said, “Water boils at 100°C.” → He said that water boils at 100°C.

  3. She said, “Honesty is the best policy.” → She said that honesty is the best policy.

  4. He said, “Two and two make four.” → He said that two and two make four.









 

Comments