Most Important 72 Direct to Indirect Speech Sentences from Previous Years Exam

 

Most Important 72 Direct to Indirect sentences related to previous years examination:

(Assertive → Interrogative → Imperative → Exclamatory → Optative)

Introduction:

Direct and Indirect speech is one of the most scoring topics in board examinations. Whether you are preparing for U.P. Board, CBSE, ICSE, or any State Board, you will surely face questions based on converting Direct Speech into Indirect Speech. Students often get confused with tense changes, pronoun changes, reporting verbs, and sentence types.

This blog presents 72 most important and previously asked board questions, arranged systematically from Assertive to Optative type sentences, along with their bold Indirect Speech answers.

Rules of Direct and Indirect Speech :

1. Change of Pronouns:

Pronouns change according to the Subject–Object relationship.

  • I → He / She

  • We → They

  • You → I/We/They (according to context)

  • You (object) → Him/Her/Them

Example:
Direct: He said, “I am happy.”
Indirect: He said that he was happy.

2. Change of Tenses:

When Reporting Verb is in past, the tense of the reported speech shifts:

  • Simple Present → Simple Past

  • Present Continuous → Past Continuous

  • Present Perfect → Past Perfect

  • Simple Past → Past Perfect

  • Will/Shall → Would/Should

Example:
Direct: She said, “I will help you.”
Indirect: She said that she would help me.

3. Change of Time & Place Words:

  • Now → Then

  • Today → That day

  • Tomorrow → The next day

  • Yesterday → The previous day

  • Here → There

  • This → That

Example:
Direct: He said, “I will do it tomorrow.”
Indirect: He said that he would do it the next day.

4. Changing Sentence Type According to Mood:

✔ Assertive → Use said / told and conjunction " That "
✔ Interrogative → Use asked / enquired and conjunction " If / Whether or Wh word "
✔ Imperative → Use ordered / requested / advised and conjunction " To / Not to "
✔ Exclamatory → Use exclaimed with joy/sorrow/wonder and conjunction " That "
✔ Optative → Use prayed/wished/blessed/cursed and conjunction " That "

72 Most Important Direct Sentences with Their Indirect Solution:

A. ASSERTIVE SENTENCES (1–20)

  1. Direct: He said, “I am tired.”
    He said that he was tired.

  2. Direct: She said, “I have finished my work.”
    She said that she had finished her work.

  3. Direct: They said, “We are going to Delhi.”
    They said that they were going to Delhi.

  4. Direct: Rohan said, “I like cricket.”
    Rohan said that he liked cricket.

  5. Direct: The girl said, “My mother is cooking.”
    The girl said that her mother was cooking.

  6. Direct: He said, “I saw a lion.”
    He said that he had seen a lion.

  7. Direct: She said, “I cannot solve this problem.”
    She said that she could not solve that problem.

  8. Direct: My father said, “I will help you.”
    My father said that he would help me.

  9. Direct: They said, “We have lived here for ten years.”
    They said that they had lived there for ten years.

  10. Direct: Ritu said, “I am reading a novel.”
    Ritu said that she was reading a novel.

  11. Direct: He said, “I do not know the truth.”
    He said that he did not know the truth.

  12. Direct: She said, “I may come tomorrow.”
    She said that she might come the next day.

  13. Direct: He said, “The earth moves around the sun.”
    He said that the earth moves around the sun.

  14. Direct: She said, “I am learning French.”
    She said that she was learning French.

  15. Direct: They said, “We watched a movie yesterday.”
    They said that they had watched a movie the previous day.

  16. Direct: My brother said, “Your car is beautiful.”
    My brother told me that my car was beautiful.

  17. Direct: The teacher said, “Hard work pays.”
    The teacher said that hard work pays.

  18. Direct: He said, “I have been waiting for you.”
    He said that he had been waiting for me.

  19. Direct: She said, “I want to become a doctor.”
    She said that she wanted to become a doctor.

  20. Direct: They said, “We will go to the market.”
    They said that they would go to the market.

B. INTERROGATIVE SENTENCES (21–40)

  1. Direct: He said, “Are you happy?”
    He asked me if I was happy.

  2. Direct: She said, “Do you like music?”
    She asked me if I liked music.

  3. Direct: He said, “Where do you live?”
    He asked me where I lived.

  4. Direct: The teacher said, “Why are you late?”
    The teacher asked why I was late.

  5. Direct: Rohan said, “When will you come?”
    Rohan asked me when I would come.

  6. Direct: He said, “Is it raining?”
    He asked if it was raining.

  7. Direct: She said, “Can you help me?”
    She asked if I could help her.

  8. Direct: They said, “Have you seen this film?”
    They asked if I had seen that film.

  9. Direct: He said, “Did you finish your work?”
    He asked if I had finished my work.

  10. Direct: The boy said, “Who is your teacher?”
    The boy asked who my teacher was.

  11. Direct: She said, “How did you do it?”
    She asked how I had done it.

  12. Direct: He said, “Do you know English?”
    He asked me if I knew English.

  13. Direct: Ritu said, “Why are they crying?”
    Ritu asked why they were crying.

  14. Direct: They said, “Where is your home?”
    They asked me where my home was.

  15. Direct: He said, “Shall we start the class?”
    He asked if they should start the class.

  16. Direct: She said, “Did he call you?”
    She asked me if he had called me.

  17. Direct: He said, “How many students are present?”
    He asked how many students were present.

  18. Direct: They said, “Is this your book?”
    They asked if that was my book.

  19. Direct: The teacher said, “Why didn’t you come yesterday?”
    The teacher asked why I had not come the previous day.

  20. Direct: He said, “Where will you go tomorrow?”
    He asked where I would go the next day.

C. IMPERATIVE SENTENCES (41–55)

  1. Direct: He said, “Open the door.”
    He ordered me to open the door.

  2. Direct: She said, “Please help me.”
    She requested me to help her.

  3. Direct: The teacher said, “Sit down.”
    The teacher told us to sit down.

  4. Direct: He said, “Don’t make noise.”
    He told them not to make noise.

  5. Direct: She said, “Bring a glass of water.”
    She told him to bring a glass of water.

  6. Direct: He said, “Please lend me your book.”
    He requested me to lend him my book.

  7. Direct: She said, “Do your homework.”
    She told me to do my homework.

  8. Direct: The doctor said, “Take this medicine.”
    The doctor advised me to take that medicine.

  9. Direct: My mother said, “Don’t waste food.”
    My mother advised me not to waste food.

  10. Direct: He said, “Stand in line.”
    He told them to stand in line.

  11. Direct: She said, “Let us go home.”
    She suggested that we should go home.

  12. Direct: He said, “Don’t touch the wire.”
    He warned me not to touch the wire.

  13. Direct: Father said, “Work hard.”
    Father advised me to work hard.

  14. Direct: She said, “Switch off the fan.”
    She told me to switch off the fan.

  15. Direct: He said, “Please wait here.”
    He requested me to wait there.

D. EXCLAMATORY SENTENCES (56–64)

  1. Direct: He said, “What a beautiful flower!”
    He exclaimed with wonder that it was a very beautiful flower.

  2. Direct: She said, “How cold it is!”
    She exclaimed with surprise that it was very cold.

  3. Direct: He said, “Alas! I am ruined.”
    He exclaimed with sorrow that he was ruined.

  4. Direct: She said, “Hurrah! We have won.”
    She exclaimed with joy that they had won.

  5. Direct: He said, “What a tragedy!”
    He exclaimed with sorrow that it was a great tragedy.

  6. Direct: She said, “How fast he runs!”
    She exclaimed with surprise that he ran very fast.

  7. Direct: He said, “Alas! He failed.”
    He exclaimed with sorrow that he had failed.

  8. Direct: They said, “Hurrah! The exam is over.”
    They exclaimed with joy that the exam was over.

  9. Direct: She said, “What a sweet voice!”
    She exclaimed with admiration that it was a very sweet voice.

E. OPTATIVE SENTENCES (65–72)

  1. Direct: He said, “May God help you!”
    He prayed that God might help me.

  2. Direct: She said, “May you live long!”
    She blessed me that I might live long.

  3. Direct: They said, “May you succeed!”
    They wished that I might succeed.

  4. Direct: He said, “May God bless you!”
    He blessed me that God might bless me.

  5. Direct: She said, “May you get well soon!”
    She wished that I might get well soon.

  6. Direct: He said, “May you be happy!”
    He wished that I might be happy.

  7. Direct: They said, “May peace prevail!”
    They prayed that peace might prevail.

  8. Direct: She said, “May God forgive us!”
    She prayed that God might forgive them.

FAQs:

1. What is the easiest way to learn Direct and Indirect Speech?

Start with pronoun change, then tense change, and finally learn specific rules for interrogative, imperative, exclamatory, and optative sentences.

2. Are these 72 sentences enough for board exam practice?

Yes, these include the most repeated and expected questions from previous years of major board exams.

3. Do universal truths change their tense in indirect speech?

No. Sentences with universal truths keep the same tense.

4. How many marks do Direct–Indirect questions carry?

Generally 1–5 marks, depending on the exam board, and they are easy to score.

Conclusion :

Direct and Indirect Speech becomes extremely easy when understood through systematic rules, examples, and practice. The above 72 solved previous years’ exam questions cover every sentence type—from Assertive to Optative—ensuring full preparation for your board exam. Keep revising the rules and practice regularly to score full marks in this section

Comments